As everyone knows you're supposed to read to your children. It sounds so easy. It sounds like it will be such a nice bonding experience. It sounds like it will be a relaxing thing to do before bed.
I'm here to tell you that it's not - well not in our house anyway. If we want to get in some quality reading time it's definitely better to do it long before bedtime and preferably with just one child at a time.
This is how reading at bedtime to three children goes at our house:
1. Someone is always asking questions (What's that? Why did they do that? What does this say?)
2. Someone is always invading personal space (That's where I'm sitting! I want my foot there!)
3. Someone is always trying to turn the page too early (Stop it!!)
4. No one can ever see (Look out! But I can't seeeeeeeee!)
5. Someone is always fighting (See numbers 1 through 4 above)
6. Someone is always crying (See numbers 1 through 5 above)
7. Someone always wants to send the kids to the orphanage (Oh, that's me.)
Please tell me this is happening in other houses besides just my own. Oh, and if this rings home for you, make sure you read my post Top Five Reasons I Hate the Library!