Monday, July 30, 2012

The Birth of a Trouble Maker

In honor of Daniel’s second birthday tomorrow, I thought I would share the story of his pregnancy and arrival. He was a trouble maker from the very beginning. I woke up one morning early in the pregnancy to a puddle of blood. It was way too much blood to be normal. I was heartbroken to think that I had lost the baby.  My doctor’s office was able to see me in the morning and I was SHOCKED to see that there was still a baby with a heartbeat. The ultrasound showed that I had a subchorionic hematoma which is basically a blood clot between the placenta and the uterus. The ultrasound also showed a second, empty sac – a twin that did not make it. Although, I was excited to hear that I still had one viable baby growing, I was also told that I had a 50% chance of losing the baby due to the hematoma. I was told to take it easy on modified bed rest which is basically a joke with a one and two year old at home. I must have had ten ultrasounds alone in the first trimester and after the dramatic start, it ended up being a completely normal pregnancy.

Fast forward to the summer of 2010 and I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of our little one (we never find out the sex ahead of time). With my first pregnancy, I was 5 days early. With my second pregnancy I was 13 days early. So by the time it was mid-July I was READY to have the baby. It was hot. So friggin hot. I was having light, on and off contractions for weeks before he came. I was 4cm dilated for a good three weeks before he even arrived. I remember the day before he was born I was 5cm dilated and had a “rough” exam at the doctor’s. I went home and was having light contractions all day and thought for sure it was the day. But then it wasn’t. I went to bed that night knowing I would be up during the night to go to the hospital. But then I wasn’t. The next morning the kids were calling from their room and I remember saying to Tim, “I guess I’ll go get the kids up since I AM NEVER HAVING THIS F’ING BABY!!” Sure enough, I got up and was getting breakfast ready for the kids when it happened – the pain you feel when you know. I got Tim out of bed and called my cousin who was on babysitting duty. I felt the all-knowing, real contraction around 8:15am and we arrived at the hospital around 9am. My water broke shortly after arrival and I was told to push. I remember thinking, “PUSH???” since I didn’t have to do that last time around. A couple of pushes later and our Daniel entered the world at 9:36am. He had an adorable head of yellow hair and was 7 pounds, 10 ounce and 20 inches long. I can't believe it's already been two years. Time really does fly by.

Daniel about to head home from the hospital

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...